Monday, January 23, 2017

But Not to be Smaller

Happy Monday, my fellow musers!

Yesterday, I noticed my legs seemed more toned and I was way more comfortable in my favorite pair of jeans. That really has nothing much to do with this post, but more about that in a minute.

I have mentioned before how much I loved Brain Rules by John Medina. It's one of those books I keep picking up, and every time I do, it enriches some part of my personal life, my professional life, or the intersection of the two. (Have I mentioned that I am practicing piano better and faster than before with the help these rules?)

Just a few pages into this book and I'd had enough of a nudge to start running regularly again and to recruit my sweetheart to join me. Check this out:

"Just about every mental test possible was tried. No matter how it was measured, the answer was consistently yes: A lifetime of exercise can result in a sometimes astonishing elevation in cognitive performance, compared with those who are sedentary. Exercisers outperform couch potatoes in tests that measure long-term memory, reasoning, attention, problem-solving, even so-called fluid intelligence tasks...Essentially, exercise improves a whole host of abilities prized in the classroom and at work." (Brain Rules, page 14)

An astonishing elevation in cognitive performance? Yes, please! That kind of self-care was the push I needed to start running this time around. I have had an on-again, off-again relationship with running. I think this time it will stick, though. Why? Because this time around, my motives are different.



In the past, running was about being smaller. It was about weight and size and jiggle-reduction and not much else.

My loved ones cannot afford for me to be preoccupied with being smaller. My patients, their families, my co-workers, and everyone else cannot afford for me to bring a version of me that is in any way focused on shrinking. I run for so many reasons now, and a sharper mind is just one of them.

I run to show myself I am fully capable of suiting up and showing up, to get in touch with that inner voice who says, "I can," find her, and turn up her volume, to build my bravery and my self-compassion one step at a time so when I need it, I can confidently call upon that part of myself who must have hard conversations with families facing a death. I run to get bigger in heart, in strength, in confidence, in nurturing self-care, and yes, in improved oxygenation to my brain cells and sharper thinking. But never again simply to be smaller.

So when I glanced in the mirror yesterday and saw some changes, I could think, "Well, cool. But that's not important." How absolutely liberating. I will choose today to grow, but not to be smaller.

PS: If you want to learn some of the best neuroscience out there for taking care of a human brain, you can get a copy of Brain Rules here. I promise this will help you be a better therapist and human being!

1 comment:

  1. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.(measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)
    Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com. even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete